Maintaining strong relationships with our referring veterinarian partners is a priority for us. Always feel free to call us with any questions or concerns.
We understand that entrusting your patients to another veterinarian is an important decision and are pleased that you wish to partner with us. We are here to enhance your own primary care services by assisting with emergency/urgent care cases on a 24-hour basis, and by providing specialty care. Be assured that we are committed to working together to design a comprehensive treatment plan for your patients, and that you will be kept updated on their progress at all times. We strive to be a valuable resource to both you and your clients.
We do not offer general practice services and make every effort to direct your client and patient back to you for follow up care. If wish to discuss your patient’s case prior to referral, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Appointments and Referrals
Patient Transfers and Referrals
As a referring veterinarian, you can transfer your patients directly to us from your hospital, direct them here from home, or provide them with our contact information should they ever need after hours care for any new or preexisting conditions. Should you require an estimate for your client prior to transfer, we can provide a general estimation but ask that you call us directly so our emergency veterinarian can obtain the medical details necessary to provide a more accurate estimate.
If you are referring a patient for an ongoing or acute medical condition, please feel free to call and speak with one of our doctors about the case prior to the patient’s arrival to ensure the best service for your client. We also ask that you share any pertinent records, labwork, or other results, either through the online portal, or by sending them with the client.
You or your client can schedule appointments with any service by calling to speak with a Client Care Specialist. You can also complete a referral form on our website or directly from your online portal account. By selecting ‘Yes’ under “SHOULD WE CALL CLIENT TO SCHEDULE?” will trigger our client care team to call the client and set up the initial consultation.
If you have a patient that requires immediate care from one of our specialty services and there is no same day appointment availability, they will be admitted through our emergency service. Our emergency team will initiate treatment and facilitate the transfer of the patient to the appropriate service for ongoing care. Most patients will need to be hospitalized overnight and transfer to the appropriate specialty the following morning.
Patient Records and Inpatient Care
- Our medical team will keep you informed of our mutual patient’s ongoing treatment plans and can also provide phone updates at your request.
- Clinical Summaries and Discharges Instructions will be made available to you in the online portal within 24 hours of the patient departing. You will also receive them via fax or email (if that is your preference).
- Lab Results and Diagnostic Images are available in real time through our online portal.
- VSH – North County maintains an on-site supply of blood products including whole blood, packed red blood cells, fresh frozen plasma, albumin, and immunoglobulin.
- Our surgeons are on call 24 hours a day to provide advanced surgical support for our emergency service.
We hope to be a valuable resource to both you and your clients. We value and appreciate the trust you have placed in our team.